Professional work always has one thing and that is deadline. It is a word dreaded by all, yet there are people, achievers who had managed to meet deadlines. Mastering the art of meeting and managing deadlines is possible, but you need to have a plan, and keep your finger on the pulse at all times. In fact, there are many ideas and points that one must follow to meet all tough timings. In today’s blog we shall discuss on how to meet project deadlines. First of all, one must understand the importance of a project and accordingly he or she should prepare for it.
What can you do to ensure you meet your deadlines?
- Make sure you always agree to a possibly met deadline time. Never ever agree on impossible time limits. Make sure you are communicative to your seniors if the deadline is not achievable and ask for an achievable date.
- Ensure that you are a hundred percent clear on what is expected of you, and the timeline the project should be completed in. Write it down immediately, diarise the date and ensure you have the right information.
- If you are working in a team, ensure that everybody in the team is aware of the deadline, and that they are also aware of the fact that it’s imperative that the project is completed in the set amount of time.
- Always make sure you are ahead of schedule, work in advance, and give yourself plenty of time to complete the project. Always ensure that you are ahead of time so that in the event that that you hit problems, you have extra time to sort them out. Rarely does a project run exactly according to plan. There are always going to be unanticipated hurdles that you are going to have to overcome along the way, so ensure you have ample time available to deal with unforeseen problems. Give yourself several small deadlines that you need to work towards, and make sure you stick to them.
- Set a deadline schedule. Break your work up into blocks set up over a specified time period. To get an idea as to how long you can expect the project to take, break it up into blocks and allocate each block a certain amount of time. Always allow additional time for these blocks to ensure that should there be problems or delays along the way, that you can still get the work done.
- Be very careful of over committing. This is one of the main reasons that deadlines are not met. Rather be honest and speak up before the project starts. Know your strengths and limitations, and plan accordingly.
- If you have taken all the above into consideration and along the way you realise that you are still not going to be able to deliver on time, speak up immediately. Do not leave it until the last minute to open your mouth.
- Hold yourself accountable. If you have made a commitment to complete a project by a certain time, it is your responsibility to make sure that you do so. Take responsibility and if it means putting in extra hours then do so. If it means minimizing interruptions and distractions to ensure you get your work done, do so.
- If you want to be taken seriously and have a good reputation, you have to take deadlines very seriously and respect them. Always remember time is money, and wasting time and money never goes down well.
Hence, these are the easy methods on how to meet project deadlines and to win accolades from your superiors.